Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Life without the TV

We are going into week 3 without our TV. I am happy to report that we are still alive and functioning fine. It's actually been really great for me. Often times when I come home, I am tired and the TV would just call my name and whisper lies to me like "Sonja, you'll only watch me for one show then start dinner" or "it's ok that you don't do anything for the next 5 hours but watch me. We're friends Sonja, it's ok" and other lies like that. Oh the misery that I had to live with. But now I am free!!

The freedom did not come with its temptations – Namely Todd & Tifani who so kindly informed us that we could watch TV on the web at NBC.com and ABC.com. I went to look on the web and saw a whole list of possible shows that can be watched! I quickly closed the screen and wondered if they wanted me to get rid of my computer next?!! (which would be a hard battle having a husband who's an IT guy)

Anyhow, life actually has improved for us. Our home is picked-up, we are eating meals made from home, reading the newspaper more. We are talking about doing more projects and actually acting upon them – it's been great!

I honestly have to say that I'm not sure if this no TV thing would have been so successful without a conversation I had with Tracy. She was sharing with me about a book that she has read or is reading – something called Fly Lady - here's a website: http://www.flylady.net/. Anyways, it says stuff like, make sure your kitchen is clean before you go to bed and do one load of laundry a day. And I have started doing these thing and it has lead to other things like making my bed every morning (a first for me in 30 years) and just picking up the house before we go to bed. It doesn't take much time and it's easy to do when it's done everyday.

I have never really learned how to keep a home in order – it's always a major clean-up day or marathon laundry days or hide-everything-in-the-closet-hour because people are on their way over… it's never an everyday thing. I know women who have daily chores – laundry on Monday, floors on Tuesday, dusting on Wednesday …etc. And I have tried and tried to do something like that but have always failed. Mostly because I couldn't remember what choirs I assigned to what day and I dread doing choirs. But I think I have finally found my way of keeping a house clean. It feels so good to go to bed with a clean house, wake-up to a clean house and come home to a clean house.

The TV leaving our family was a good thing. We still pod cast The Office and we are going to start Pod casting Heroes now that The Office season is done…so we haven't left the TV world all together…

3 comments:

Tifani said...

What's this thing you call "the newspaper?" I am not familiar with your ancient ways.

Does not compute.. does not compute.

Alaska Stafford said...

As long as you are still watching Heroes, I can support your efforts. Season 1 comes out on DVD in August. You could buy it then and watch it on your... Oh wait, never mind...

Anonymous said...

24 belongs on the top of your list. You'd better get on that ASAP. Just think, humans are frail. You could suddenly go blind from a strange disease, or get into a fatal car wreck. Do you really want to leave this Earth without having watched all available seasons of 24? Don't wait. Act now.