Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Banks Now Do Payday Loans???

I was checking my US Bank account balance this morning and saw this little button that said "Request Checking Account Advance". That piqued my curiosity, so I clicked on it and got the screen below.



Take note of a couple of things:
  • 120% APR!!!
  • $1 for every $10 borrowed - that's a 10% cut (which is the same as 120% APR on a monthly basis).
  • 120% APR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I certainly hope this isn't a trend that other banks will fall in to. I am seriously considering closing our account at US Bank. Can you imagine the temptation this will cause? Payday loans right from the comfort of your home (or your in-law's spare camp trailer if you get sucked into this mess).

2 comments:

Tifani said...

Wow, that's so bad!

Alaska Stafford said...

120%!!!! This explains why in 37 states, the largest building in the state is a bank building. With rates like that, they've got all kinds of money with which to build those big, fancy buildings...