Sunday, April 15, 2007

So that's what those are for...

Sonja and I had two amazing things happen to us this weekend. Well, amazing for us anyway.

First, we started and finished a house project in one weekend - we cleaned out our garage! See, our town is the permit capitol of the world - you need a permit for everything -even a garage sale. But, once a year they do a city-wide garage sale weekend when they allow anyone to do a garage sale without a permit. And, even better, the following week they do free garbage pick-up. That's right, you can stack as much garbage as you want (with some exceptions) out on the curb and they'll pick it all up for free! Last year we got in on this just after we moved in. So, we figured we would take advantage of it again this year. As we were cleaning out the garage and going through boxes, we made three piles: 1) keep 2) garage sale and 3) trash. Of course whatever is left over after #2 will become #3 as well. We think we did an awesome job! And thanks to Craig's List we were able to get rid of some big item and make a little extra money.

The second amazing thing that happened to us is that we discovered if a person actually cleans out a garage, there's a lot of space in there. In fact, I told Sonja that I bet there was so much room we could actually fit a car in there! Crazy stuff! And I was right! Can you imagine people actually parking their cars in their garages?!? You've probably seen that email joke (or some variation) that goes around - "Only In America" - I've always thought the one was pretty funny: Only in America......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage. Sonja and I were joking one day a few months back that someday we'll just be honest and stop measuring garages based on the number of cars you can get in there (like a 1-car garage or a 2-car garage) and we'll start calculating their capacity based on the number of boxes they can hold. "Look over there, George is building a garage - boy, that must be a 100-boxer!"

So...two days, three Craig's List postings and a church service skipped finds us with a much emptier garage and a car that is safe and warm. Amazing.

(Editor's Note: I know on the right side of the picture there it doesn't look that clean - that is the "garage sale" pile area and will be cleaned out in a few weeks.)

1 comment:

Michael / Tifani said...

Nice going! I'm impressed. Our garage has one car in it right now, too, and the rest has become a "staging area" for things going out (storage, Goodwill, garbage). It's truly amazing how quickly stuff can pile up in there! Sadly, we still have two cars in our driveway.. but let's hope our next house has a 400-box-capacity garage! Hey, do you guys need some extra garage sale items?