Friday, March 14, 2008

30 Day Challenge

I'm going to take the 30 day challenge. It's been something I've needed to do for a while and I'm hoping the 30 day challenge will help me get it done. Anyone want to join me? Or at least just keep me accountable?

The 30 day challenge is something Dave Ramsey promotes. It's a challenge to get your Love Drawer organized and in place in the next 30 days. What is a Love Drawer? It's a draw (filing cabinet, box, folder, etc.) where you have all your important financial and legal documents - organized in such a way that your spouse or loved ones could easily manage any financial/legal issues without you. If something happened to you, would your spouse know where all that info was? This is especially important for the person that does the majority of the bill paying, etc. If something was to happen to me, would Sonja know where the info was on the mortgage? Or, more importantly, my life insurance policy? What about what bank account(s) are used for what and what bills are auto-drafted from where and how to log into each one online? In the midst of dealing with a tragic event, the last thing someone should worry about is "does the utilities payment get auto-drafted or do I need to pay it?" In fact, it's pretty negligent and irresponsible of me to not have this in place already.

Hence the 30 day challenge. I got started on it last night (so 4/13 is my deadline for completion) - just looking at what I need to do and where stuff currently is. I could not find a single scrap of paper in our file drawer about my life insurance policy. No idea where the mortgage docs are, either. So, it's time to get it all organized.

There is some info about it here. If you're a My Total Money Makeover member ($10/month or free while in an FPU class), then there are even more documents/resources available (primarily a nice, editable PDF that has a bunch of fill-in-the-blanks for listing all the info - that you can save and edit/change as needed and print off).

Things I need to do to get started:
  • Organize file drawer with all important documents
  • Make an index or table of contents for the important documents for easy access
  • Get some wills put together - Dave recommends getting forms from US Legal Forms - I ordered ours last night
  • Fill out and print off the Love Drawer PDF from MTMMO - give copies to family members for safe keeping
  • Go over it all with Sonja and plan on updating it and reviewing it at least once a year
Sob sob, boo hoo - yes it's really sad and depressing to think about the "what ifs" and have to talk about and make decisions about powers of attorney and funeral arrangements - but it will be such a relief when it's all over to know that if something happens to either one (or both) of us, all of that is DONE. Taken care of. And in the midst of all of the tragedy, no one will have to try to figure out where to send the mortgage payment.

Let me know if you're interested in doing the 30 day challenge, too - we can share resources and ideas. If you've already put something like that together, share some tips in the comments. Also, feel free to ask me over the next 30 days - "how's that drawer coming along". Sonja and I will (try to) post an update at the end of the 30 days to let you know how it went.

I'm down to just 29 days now - I need to get moving!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh Tycen! What a great idea! I'm totally up for this- just the motivation I need to end winter on an organized note- ready for summer and beyond. We have a lot of loose ends right now that need tidying in the paperwork realm (like, wills, for example!)
I am going to make my 30 days up on the 15th of April- wont that create some peace for us!? Ahh...

Alaska Stafford said...

You're a little late to start planning for your death... Growing up, I planned your death on a regular basis...

Forrest Blogs said...

Great post. It's great to hear that the Dave's Love Drawer is getting some attention.

Also about MyTMMO memberships, "($10/month or free while in an FPU class)"...that's not exactly true. FPU members only get access to the Member Resource Center (MRC). The MRC uses a few of MyTMMO's tools but they are two different sites.

Tycen said...

Thanks, Ben! I never have been really clear on the differences between the two - I appreciate the clarification. Thanks for stopping by!

Jason Grimes said...

I definitely need to get to this--great post!

Tracy said...

So...how is this coming along? (You said to check in with you!) I have made good progress- updating our life insurance (yay!) and, um. Ok. That's all so far. BUT I HAVE GOOD PLANS! And still, a bit of time. I will probably start on the "drawer part" this week.